Filipino Mango and Tomato Salad is a light and refreshing side dish that pairs well with grilled meat or seafood. A delicious medley of juicy mangoes, plump tomatoes, onions, and cilantro tossed in an Asian-style vinaigrette dressing; it’s like a party in your mouth!
They are my top side dishes to make for BBQs, potlucks, and just about any meal I want a fresh flavor, and they always hit the spot! Filipino mango and tomato salad, however, is my favorite of the lot.
The crisp mangoes, the plump tomatoes, the pungent onions, the scent of fresh cilantro, the sweet and savory dressing all come together into one large bowl of awesome flavors and textures.
It’s refreshing and delicious, plus easy to make, budget-friendly, and nutritious to boot!
- For best texture, use ripe but firm mangoes.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Swap with green onions.
- I like to deseed the tomato to keep it from watering down the salad.I usually serve this mango salsa as accompaniment for grilled/fried meat and seafood, but it’s so good, I can eat it straight up with a spoon. Or a shovel, judging by the mouthfuls I take.
- 1 large ripe but firm mango, peeled and julienned
- 1 large Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil