Looking for a simple, budget-friendly homemade treat for the whole family? Crispy Tuna Pies are easy to make and require just a few simple pantry staples. Delicious and filling as a midday snack or appetizer!
This crispy tuna pie recipe is a homemade adaptation of Jollibee’s Tuna Pie wherein sliced white bread takes the place of the pastry crust. It’s a crispy pocket pie with a cheesy tuna filling and crunchy bread crumb coating.
Deep-fried to golden perfection, this simple but delicious snack is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
What you’ll need
- Sliced White Bread– you can use white bread or whole wheat for extra nutrition
- Canned Tuna– toss into a salad with mayo, chopped red onions, and salt and pepper
- Mayonnaise– substitute with sour cream for a lighter alternative
- Cheese- I like to use Eden brand, but any processed filled cheese or quick melt cheese are good options
- Milk and egg– beat together until frothy; helps the bread crumbs to coat the pies
- Bread Crumbs– use the Japanese-style Panko bread crumbs for the best crunch
- Oil– use oil with a neutral flavor and high smoke point such as canola, safflower, or grapeseed oil
- Drain the canned tuna very well to prevent an overly wet filling from tearing the bread.
- For extra flavor and texture, you can add shredded carrots, sweet pickle relish, or green peas to the tuna filling.
- Dip the pies in the milk/egg mixture very briefly lest the moisture will make the bread soggy.
- 1 can (6.35 ounces) canned tuna, drained well
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely choppped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces quick-melt cheese
- 8 pieces sliced white bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- canola oil