Chicken Curry stewed in coconut milk and curry spices is a hearty and tasty dish the whole family will love. Easy to make and cooks in one pan!
Filipino-style Chicken curry is my all-time favorite comfort food. Every time it’s on the menu, I can’t help but eat my weight in rice. And that, my friends, means A LOT.
And who can blame me? Juicy chicken, tender potatoes and carrots, colorful bell peppers, and a glorious curry-infused coconut sauce…it’s the best combination there is!
This chicken stew is not only a regular on our meal rotation at home, but it’s also one of the dishes I often make for holidays and special occasions. It’s easy to make yet packs big flavors.
It requires only a handful of ingredients, cooks in one pan, and is done in less than an hour. The perfect dish for feeding a large crowd!
- Pan-fry the potatoes and carrots until lightly browned to keep them from falling apart when added to the stew.
- I also like to briefly saute the bell peppers as it draws out their natural sweetness.
- This recipe calls for bone-in chicken parts for a more robust flavor, but boneless, skinless breast or thigh meat works, too.
- For a smooth and creamy sauce, do not bring to a rapid boil and cook in a gentle simmer lest the coconut milk curdles and separates.
- Once the curry powder is added in, give the sauce a few minutes to slow cook to allow the spices to release their flavors.
- Prefer a thicker consistency? Simmer uncovered so the excess liquid will evaporate quickly and the sauce to reduce without overcooking the meat and vegetables.
How to serve
- I especially love this hearty stew served with steamed rice, but it’s equally delicious paired with mashed potatoes and egg noodles. A crusty bread loaf to sop up the rich curry sauce is another delicious option!
- Curry is perfect for meal-planning and makes great leftovers. Store in airtight containers or resealable bags and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat, place in a saucepan with a splash of water and heat over low heat
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 (3 pounds) bone-in chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk